Tuesday, August 3, 2010

You would not believe what goes on!

Based on the kind of comments I receive from readers when I write about life on the PGA and Senior PGA Tours, I have come to believe that most golfers among the general public have no idea what professional golf is all about!

For example, I was in the contestants' locker room one week at a Senior PGA Tour event, working with one of the players while fitting his PROBE driver to exactly what he wanted in the way of performance. A network reporter came into the locker room and asked the player for an interview. It was that player's second event on tour since he turned 50 years old, so the reporter wanted to know about the player's initial experiences on the Senior Tour.

I sat on a bench next to the player during the interview. The reporter asked the player, "How do you like being out here on the Senior Tour, playing once again with players with whom you once played on the regular tour?"

The player looked at the reporter and answered, "Don't think these guys were friendly to me just because they shook my hand when they saw me again, and the cameras were on them. Most of these guys would not throw water on me if I were on fire!"

The reporter was shocked, and looked at his cameraman with a bewildered look in his eye, not knowing what to say. I sat there and watched the reporter, wondering what he would do next. I was not surprised at the player's comment, because I had seen it all before.

Most of the players on tour, both the regular tour and he Senior Tour, renamed the Champion's Tour a few years ago, put on one face when in front of the cameras, and are completely different when off camera!

If you don't believe me, pick up a copy of my new novel, LOVE WAS NOT ENOUGH, and learn for yourself what your own idols are like when off camera. The book is based on my true experiences while promoting my PROBE golf equipment on tour for many years during the 1990's.

In addition to learning about what goes on at PGA Tour events, you will learn other valuable lessons about life, such as how to make a marriage work when the husband is self-employed and motivated to be a successful entrepreneur, and his wife wants him to put her ahead of his career.

You will learn how to raise your children so you are proud of them in this age of peer pressure among teenage young men and women. What I learned under those circumstances is simple to recognize and put into practice, and it is true for all couples. It does not take years of education and a ton of psychological mumbo-jumbo to write about what makes a marriage work.

If you like a good read that teaches you important lessons about life, pick up a copy today. You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment