Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Will Phil Mickelson Do Next?

What will Phil do next? Wasn't that the opening question in a TV commercial?

Do you remember when Phil first put two drivers in his bag? I believe it was at the 2006 Bellsouth Classic.

As a custom golf set fitting expert at Probe Golf from 1987 through 2002, I know what is involved with making a driver that will hook or fade. I can understand what Phil was attempting to do with the two drivers. And it worked! He not only won the 2006 Bellsouth Classic going away, but he also won the Masters the next week!

My question to Phil is, "Why did you stop playing the two drivers?"


One driver was 46 inches, the other was 45 inches. With the 46-inch driver, Mickelson said he hit a 305-yard draw; with the 45-incher, he hit a 290-yard cut.

That made sense to me. There are many ways to change how the ball flies off a driver; the loft, the lie, the stiffness (flex), the flex point (low, mid, or high), the torque, the length, the grip size, etc.

So, if anyone knows why Phil stopped using the two drivers, I would like to know. I haven't been able to find the answer on the Internet. And if anyone has another example of a well-known golfer doing something similar, please share it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment