Friday, June 4, 2010

Second round as predicted at the Memorial!

This is getting boring, predicting successfully most of the time when the golf media is wrong!

This week they said Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson were favored to win the Memorial. I predicted Tiger would still struggle like he did the last few weeks, because he still has his demons in his head from his personal life. But he is showing signs of improvement with each round played. Today I did not hear anyone in the crowd yell anything nasty at him, and the crowd seemed more cordial than yesterday or last week. Eventually he will put those demons behind him, and then win again.

The golf media surprisingly does not seem to recognize how much the mental side of golf effects its tour stars. As far as Phil Mickelson is concerned, I predicted Phil would not putt well on the faster greens that are usually found in the majors and the bigger tournaments, like the Players and the Memorial.

If you have read my last week's blogs, you also know I am no longer a Phil Mickelson fan after learning last week that his lawyer (agent), a personal injury lawyer, is an ass! To threaten any manufacturer of a non-Callaway golf club to stay away from his client is a new low in the corruption that has taken over the golf equipment industry in the last ten to twelve years.

As I predicted, Phil struggled on Friday because of his later tee time, and having to putt the rougher greens due to spike marks later in the day.

Phil shot four shots worse on Friday than on Thursday when he got lucky with the earlier tee time and wetter conditions. If he hadn't made a 65-foot eagle putt that was going at least fifteen feet past the hole if it had not hit the hole dead center, it would have been five or six shots worse than on Thursday.

I have to admit that watching Phil putt now is much more relaxing than it was when I was a fan of his for so many years. We all know how he can self-destruct over a three-foot putt due to his having to play the Odyssey (Callaway) blade putter. I don't care how much Callaway pays him to play that putter, he would own a dozen majors by now if he didn't have to play it.

I used to hold my breath when Phil was putting a three-foot putt, waiting to see if he hit it five feet past the hole, and then missed it coming back!

Now I don't care if he makes it, and am more pleased if he misses such a putt. I am rejuvenated with the idea of returning to manufacturing my PROBE putters, especially our new PROBE 20/10 model, also center-shafted and inverted-shafted like the original 20/20 model. Knowing Phil's lawyer will make less money when I get other tour players to use my putter, I am newly energized to get into production!

Have you noticed how the headlines have changed from last year's Memorial, when Tiger won, to Friday's headline this week, which exalts the fact that Tiger made the cut!

Good luck to Ricky Fowler and Justin Rose this weekend. It would be great to see either of them win on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment