Friday, June 18, 2010

U.S. Open first round results

Thursday's first round at the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach went about as I predicted it would! Dustin Johnson was in the mix at even par, two behind the leaders, even though he didn't putt well.

Phil Mickelson putted "horribly" (in his own words), also as I predicted. The worst club in his bag is the Odyssey (Callaway) blade putter that he HAS to play according to his contract with Callaway!

About two weeks ago I mentioned here in my blog how Mickelson's attorney threatened me if I even thought about getting a better putter in Phil's hands, so he could finally become the Number One player in the world. I'm sorry, but I was a big Phil Mickelson fan until I learned how he has let Callaway run, or should I say ruin, his life as a professional.

Lee Westwood struggled, also as predicted, but made a few putts coming down the stretch to finish two over par.

And finally, also as I predicted, Tiger would be in the mix this week, but will not win because he would not be over the mental demons he has struggled with for the last seven months. Time heals all wounds, and eventually he will put his personal marriage problems behind him and get back to business.

Pebble Beach is playing tough with its fast greens and long rough. The wind also came up a little yesterday afternoon, making the greens dry and bumpy.

Mickelson yesterday played in the morning, so he will have it tougher today when he plays in the afternoon. Tiger played late yesterday, so he should putt better today.

I'm looking forward to watching today to see if the USGA does anything to try to make the greens a little smoother by applying some water during the round.

After today's cut, when (hopefully) the course conditions balance out for the entire field, the final two rounds should be more fair over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment