Friday, May 7, 2010

Same problems for Tiger at The Players!


Tiger Woods had the same problems at The Players on Friday that he had on Thursday, hitting it everywhere and scrambling to save pars! He finished -3 to par after the second round, which at least should make the cut as compared to last week.

Meanwhile, Phil Mickelson teed off late on Friday. He also finished -3 after Friday's round. But unlike Tiger's current mental state, Phil has what it will take to come from nine shots back to win on Sunday, just like Rory McIlroy did last week at the Quail Hollow Championship. McIlroy celebrated his 21st birthday last Tuesday, after winning last week, only to miss the cut Friday at The Players.

What has changed from last week to this week? Mental attitude. Professional golf, just like amateur golf every Saturday morning, is all about attitude, not talent.

Lee Westwood was in the lead after Friday's round. I'm sorry, but Westwood doesn't have what it takes between the ears to win a major US tournament. He will remain close to the lead through Saturday, then on Sunday, but he will blow the lead on Sunday afternoon.

When I give a golf lesson to my students, I stress basic weight shift, and mental attitude. With those two thoughts, any amateur can play great!

2 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for Lee Westwood. I like the underdogs. You're probably right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like underdogs, too. Doesn't everybody? Still, my opinion is that Lee won't be able to pull it off. We'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete