Tuesday, May 4, 2010

WHERE TO BUY THE BEST GOLF CLUBS!



Dennis Grahovic in Germany sent me a message two days ago stating he needs to buy himself a set of golf clubs, and asked me where he should go. I am flattered, because it has been at least ten years since I quit making custom golf club sets at PROBE GOLF, www.probegolf.com.

At the time we started making the best performing golf clubs in the world at PROBE GOLF, in 1986, virtually no other golf company in the world made true custom fit, and custom performing golf equipment!

Read that sentence again, because it is the absolute truth. The closest other golf company that advertised custom fitting was PING. Remember their custom lie, custom length, custom grip promotion? Would it shock you to know that PING used the same shaft for all customers, and it was a shaft that fit no one?

In golf, the harder you swing, the stiffer the shaft has to be, and the higher the Flex Point has to be. PING did not wish to inventory a dozen different shaft types, so they compromised by using their PING ZING shaft, with a low flex point. A low flex point leads to a high, less controlled shot. By tipping (cutting more off the thin end of the shaft) the shaft more, they made a stiff shafted club for hard swingers, but with a high, less-controlled shot due to the low flex point. Easier swingers, and women, need the low flex point, but not a stiff shaft, because they can't swing it hard enough!

At PROBE GOLF, we stocked over eight different steel shafts for iron sets, and the same for woods. To prove my point, here are two examples of why PROBE irons were the best performing irons in the world, "for each individual golfer's needs":

1) When I started PROBE GOLF, I was a six handicap golfer. I had played for twenty-two years, and had never had a hole-in-one. When I made myself the first PROBE iron set, with the shaft best suited to my swing, I made a hole-in-one within one month, holing a five iron on the 195-yard hole # eight at the Lake Shastina Golf Resort near Mt. Shasta, CA.

I made my second hole-in-one a month later, holing my PROBE 2-iron on #11 from 222 yards. Not exactly short par-3's.

My handicap dropped within four months to a "plus 2", two strokes better than "0". I won the Men's Club Championship nine times in twelve years, and shot as low as 65 on the par-72 Championship course.

2) In 1987 I won the Lake Shastina Amateur Championship, with 200 of northern California's top amateurs competing, by shooting 70-70, four under par. The three men who finished right behind me were playing PING Eye 2 irons. Tom, who finished second, three shots behind me, told me that hole #16 that day made all the difference. I had hit my PROBE 2-iron into the wind 209 yards to one foot from the hole for birdie. Tom had hit his PING 1-iron twice as high as my 2-iron into the front bunker (due to his low flex point shafts) and made bogey! Tom asked me over a beer in the clubhouse that afternoon to make him a set of PROBE irons. I did so, using a high flex point shaft in his set, and Tom came back the next year to win the same tournament by SIX SHOTS!

Choosing the right shaft for each customer's needs is the key to turning a so-so golfer into a great golfer! In the last ten years I have had a personal friend of mine, Joe Roland, who knows the secrets of proper fitting each customer to the proper shaft, make all custom-fit golf sets for people who come to me for a better choice of golf equipment.

Therefore, to answer Dennis Grahovic's question, for him to buy the best performing golf clubs (for his swing) he should fill out my PROBE GOLF Custom Fitting Questionnaire, and then I will confer with my friend, Joe Roland, who will build the set for Dennis. And, Dennis' cost will be about 60% of what he would spend with Nike, Taylor Made, PING, Titleist, Cobra, or any of the other name brands!

I have decided to "restart" PROBE GOLF once again, to introduce our new PROBE 20/10 inverted-shafted putter, which will outperform our PROBE 20/20 putter we introduced to the golfing world through our Gary Player infomercial in 1993, and sold over 120,000 putters at $120 each.

(Pictured above - Larry Laoretti, winner of the 1992 Senior United States Open Championship, using his PROBE Driver and PROBE 20/20 inverted-shafted putter.)

It will be fun to once again make the best performing golf equipment in the world, and the best performing putter ever designed.

2 comments:

  1. Larry Laoretti won the Senior US Open while playing your company's driver and putter? That's pretty impressive. Good luck getting back into the equipment biz.

    ReplyDelete