Saturday, May 22, 2010

What is your favorite thing about the game of golf?

I have played golf since I was twelve years old. I told a story the other day here at my blog about the lesson I learned when I was sixteen years old, watching Arnold Palmer play in the San Diego Open in 1964. It was the lesson about temper having no place on the golf course.

I have discussed how golf has helped me in business for forty years, meeting and befriending people who remained my friends and quite often, business partners and investors for life.

In what other game can you take the time to sit in a golf cart, or under a tree or on a bench if you are walking and waiting for the group ahead of you, and talk to your partner or your competitor?

And one of my favorite things I like to discuss at those times is telling jokes, and very often golf jokes.

Here is one of my favorites:

Four married guys went golfing together one Saturday morning. While playing the fourth hole this conversation took place:

1st guy: "You have no idea what I had to go through to be able to come out and play golf today with you three. I had to promise my wife that I will paint every room in the house next weekend."

2nd guy: "That's nothing. I had to promise my wife I will build a new deck around the pool next weekend."

3rd guy: "Man, you both have it easy! I had to promise my wife I will remodel the kitchen next weekend for her.

They continued playing the hole when they realized the fourth guy had not said a word. So they asked him, "You haven't said anything about what you had to do to be able to come golfing with us this weekend. What's the deal?"

4th guy: "I just set my alarm for 5:30 A.M. last night, and when it went off, I shut the alarm off, gave my wife a nudge while I moved close up against her behind, and asked, 'golf course or intercourse?'

Then she said, "Wear a sweater".

No comments:

Post a Comment