Saturday, May 1, 2010

Why Can't Everyone Play Golf?


Last night I was getting ready to sleep for the eighth night in a row on my living room couch, because it was easier to sleep there with my right foot elevated after foot surgery, and having three pins running through my foot!

Forty-four years ago I had broken the joint on my big toe playing football barefoot, and had never found a convenient time for the repairing surgery, and the five weeks of recovery that would be necessary after such surgery.

As I settled down on the couch with my Vicodin, water, and laptop next to me, I turned on the TV and was pleased to see that The Legend of Bagger Vance was just starting. As I watched, I was reminded of how great the game of golf really is (as if I needed a reminder).

Think of all the problems in the world, with hunger, economic troubles, etc. Then remind yourself how golf teaches all of us tolerance, honesty, integrity, patience, understanding, and other virtues.

Then imagine if there were 300 million golfers in the United States, instead of only 25 million. What a better country we would have. What if the billions of people in the world all played golf? Wouldn't this be a much better world?

Imagine a Catholic, a Muslim, and Protestant, and a Jew teeing it up for a friendly $10 Nassau, and an Agnostic is keeping the official scores for the foursome!

What a world it would be.

1 comment:

  1. So true. The world would indeed be a kinder, gentler place if more people took to heart the social and moral lessons engendered in us from golf. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete